It is just 2 weeks until Tax Day/Global Day of Action on Military Spending on April 15. Actions are planned in Greensboro,NC, Superior,WI, St Louis & Kansas City, MO, Duluth,MN, Cleveland,OH, Boston,MA , Seattle, WA, Portland,OR, San Mateo County, CA and many more! Find an event in your area or list one here.
New actions your group can join:
• Join NETWORK, a national Catholic social justice lobby, for #TaxPayerPride Actions: creative activities to lift up why taxes are important for meeting human needs. Download the How To Join tip sheet here.
• WAND/Will has launched a drive to get women state legislators to sign onto a Congressional letter calling for cutting the Pentagon budget to fund human services. The Congressional letter will be released to the press on Tax Day as part of the Global Day of Action on Military Spending (GDAMS.) Time is short, please join this important initiative!
Materials: We have many materials prepared by the national sponsoring groups on the international GDAMS website. (Be sure to scroll down to see all the materials available.)
• State tax receipts: all 52 state tax receipts prepared by National Priorities Project are available here. Download and paste into the Tax Day/GDAMS templates (available here) to hand out at events or post to your website. Tip: “print to scale” is the setting needed to print out on 8 ½ x 11 paper.
• New National Priorities Project annual comparison of budget proposals is now available. A useful tool for Letters to the Editor, opeds, etc
• April 2 Conference call briefing on using social media & getting press for your event hosted by the New Priorities Network and conducted by the Pentagon Budget Campaign. Peace Action will give an update on Tax Day/GDAMS organizing. Wednesday from 8-9 pm Eastern Conference call number: 712-775-7000 Code: 637020#
• Social media action: This week we will send out information on 2 Thunderclaps: on the Overseas Contingency Operations budget (OCO) and a second Thunderclap with a general message on budget priorities. Memes are available for your use on FaceBook here.
US groups sponsoring Tax Day/GDAMS events: Alliance for Global Justice, American Friends Service Committee, CODEPINK, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Foreign Policy in Focus, Friends Committee on National Legislation, National Priorities Project, Peace Action, Progressive Democrats of America, United for Peace and Justice, USAction, US Labor Against the War, War Resisters League, Women’s Action for New Directions & Women’s Legislators